Log in

No account? Create an account
30 August 2005 @ 12:59 am
Forum down, tech support notified  
For those forum members who have bookmarked my livejournal, yes I went to log in early this morning and noticed that I was getting a my sql error message. I sent an email regarding this to my consultant who handles the technical end of the forum, as I am not quite that geeky and don't really want to be. :)

I'm hoping he is not too busy right now to check into it, when he reads his email tomorrow. I'm not going to call him at this hour.

I will update this post if I find out tomorrow that there will be a delay.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Blessed be--


PS Mods, yes I noticed that one too!


Now it seems I can intermittently get to the main page but not do anything active without getting that message. I don't know if it might be self-correcting, or caused by some server problem, search engines connecting, or what, since I don't know what "too many connections" means in context. So I guess we'll have to be patient until tomorrow. Sorry! I know for some members it is daytime and this must be extra frustrating.


OK, this is as geeky as I'm going to get for tonight. check this out, it describes what's happening with the "too many connections" message:


I tried to load the site, but it did take a great deal of time.

Understading connections is very important if you are going to use a database.

Everytime you call a query, your website has to connect. When you are finished with the query, you need to disconnect, otherwise, those connections stay open, waiting for instructions.

A server can only handle so many connections before it just shuts down. And your host might not like that.

Find a good tutorial on mysql and PHP and look up "closing connections"
Current Mood: annoyedannoyed
(Anonymous) on August 30th, 2005 08:23 am (UTC)
Forum down
Oh, nice that you are on top of it. I was wondering how to let you know.

Have a nice day (when you wake up today)

Tapatitapati on August 30th, 2005 08:28 am (UTC)
Re: Forum down
I hope everyone remembers that they can come to livejournal to check in. I don't mind if you all want to leave a few messages here for each other, by the way, if you were in the middle of an exchange that was really important to you.
Tapatitapati on August 30th, 2005 08:27 am (UTC)
I'm wondering about denial of service attacks. check this out:


I find it interesting that the Mods home is also affected...which leads me to wonder if it is something malicious.
Tapatitapati on August 30th, 2005 08:45 am (UTC)
Well, here's a delightful story I ran across during a web search, to give any of my members something to read while checking in:

The pickle jar, as far back as I can remember, sat on the floor beside the dresser in my parents' bedroom. When he got ready for bed, Dad would empty his pockets and toss his coins into the jar. As a small boy I was always fascinated at the sounds the coins made as they were dropped into the jar.

They landed with a merry jingle when the jar was almost empty. Then the tones gradually muted to a dull thud as the jar was filled. I used to squat on the floor in front of the jar and admire the copper and silver circles that glinted like a pirate's treasure when the sun poured through the bedroom window.

When the jar was filled, Dad would sit at the kitchen table and roll the coins before taking them to the bank. Taking the coins to the bank was always a big production. Stacked neatly in a small cardboard box, the coins were placed between Dad and me on the seat of his old truck.

Each and every time, as we drove to the bank, Dad would look at me hopefully. "Those coins are going to keep you out of the textile mill, son. You're going to do better than me. This old mill town's not going to hold you back."

Also, each and every time, as he slid the box of rolled coins across the counter at the bank toward the cashier, he would grin proudly. "These are for my son's college fund. He'll never work at the mill all his life like me."

We would always celebrate each deposit by stopping for an ice cream cone. I always got chocolate. Dad always got vanilla. When the clerk at the ice cream parlor handed Dad his change, he would show me the few coins nestled in his palm. "When we get home, we'll start filling the jar again." He always let me drop the first coins into the empty jar. As they rattled around with a brief, happy jingle, we grinned at each other. "You'll get to college on pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters," he said. "But you'll get there. I'll see to that."

The years passed, and I finished college and took a job in another town. Once, while visiting my parents, I used the phone in their bedroom, and noticed that the pickle jar was gone. It had served its purpose and had been removed.

A lump rose in my throat as I stared at the spot beside the dresser where the jar had always stood. My dad was a man of few words, and never lectured me on the values of determination, perseverance, and faith. The pickle jar had taught me all these virtues far more eloquently than the most flowery of words could have done.

When I married, I told my wife Susan about the significant part the lowly pickle jar had played in my life as a boy. In my mind, it defined, more than anything else, how much my dad had loved me.

No matter how rough things got at home, Dad continued to doggedly drop his coins into the jar. Even the summer when Dad got laid off from the mill, and Mama had to serve dried beans several times a week, not a single dime was taken from the jar.

To the contrary, as Dad looked across the table at me pouring catsup over my beans to make them more palatable, he became more determined than ever to make a way out for me. "When you finish college, Son," he told me, his eyes glistening, "You'll never have to eat beans again... unless you want to."

Tapatitapati on August 30th, 2005 08:47 am (UTC)
continued from above:

The first Christmas after our daughter Jessica was born, we spent the holiday with my parents. After dinner, Mom and Dad sat next to each other on the sofa, taking turns cuddling their first grandchild. Jessica began to whimper softly, and Susan took her from Dad's arms. "She probably needs to be changed," she said, carrying the baby into my parents' bedroom to diaper her. When Susan came back into the living room, there was a strange mist in her eyes.

She handed Jessica back to Dad before taking my hand and leading me into the room. "Look," she said softly, her eyes directing me to a spot on the floor beside the dresser. To my amazement, there, as if it had never been removed, stood the old pickle jar, the bottom already covered with coins. I walked over to the pickle jar, dug down into my pocket, and pulled out a fistful of coins. With a gamut of emotions choking me, I dropped the coins into the jar. I looked up and saw that Dad, carrying Jessica, had slipped quietly into the room. Our eyes locked, and I knew he was feeling the same emotions I felt. Neither one of us could speak.

When I read this story, it really touched my heart. Sometimes we are so busy adding up our troubles that we forget to count our blessings! Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life, for better or for worse.

story attributed to "TCB" on a menopause forum I ran into.
(Anonymous) on August 30th, 2005 09:23 am (UTC)
Malicious? Hmm. Yesterday late afternoon I logged on to GR and Mod home from the itnernet room in Radhadesh (Belgium). I logged off, but who knows (I'm saying just in case it proves to be malicious and we start looking for clues). But I have done it before, when I would visit there, and nothing happened to the forum.

Tapatitapati on August 30th, 2005 06:06 pm (UTC)
I'd say it should be fine, but you can also clear the cache if you're worried. I doubt anyone would want to figure out your login for a site they know nothing about. Alec is going to research it for me.