Here’s Susan's Original Tequila Cream Pasta recipe in all its glory. It makes a wonderful dish that can be enhanced with some fresh, cooked shrimp. She’s tried several brands in this dish, but finds a 100% agave blanco is the best to use. Try it yourself and enjoy! It's truly delicious.
* 2 tbsp butter
* 1 large onion, thinly sliced
* 3 tbsp dried basil
* 3 tbsp minced garlic
* 1 cup half-and-half cream
* 1 28 oz tin peeled tomatoes pureed (or use equivalent fresh tomatoes)
* Salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
* 1/2 cup 100% agave blanco tequila
* Spaghetti for four
* Melt the butter in a frying pan.
* Add onion and cook until clear.
* Add pureed tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper, garlic.
* Cook at medium-low heat for 20 minutes, until thickened.
* Add cream and simmer while you...
* Cook the spaghetti (pasta).
* Add 1/2 cup tequila to sauce. Cook for several minutes more, then serve on spaghetti.
* Top with grated parmesan cheese.
* Add the tequila last to preserve its flavour. Cook it only long enough to warm it, but not entirely eliminate its alcohol - if you want to retain its bite.
* Ian adds a healthy dose of habanero sauce to the mix for his serving. If your eyes don't bleed, then it's not hot enough for me!
* Ripe plum tomatoes work best when using fresh, but others are also good - if they are not the usual grocery store cardboard tomatoes.
* Although you can never have too much garlic, it can over-power the tequila taste.
* Fresh cilantro is another nice additive in this sauce.